Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Hope to Obtain Stepling Volume

After I posted the notice that the Berlin State Library had lost the Stepling volume during World War II, Martin Altmann did quite a bit of detective work and located another copy in Czechoslovakia, just as Robert van Gent has guessed.  Martin went through the sites of the Bavarian National Library, University of Regensburg,  Austrian National Library, Charles Univeristy in Praha, British Library, and when he decided to check some additional Czech universities, the first one he investigated, the University at Olomouc, had the volume.  As noted in the previous post,the Karlsruher Virtueller Katalog KVK search engine covers most of the European libraries and universities, but only the Czech National Library is included.

Martin made some suggestions as to people to contact to obtain a copy, but I took a closer look at the Stepling entry in the Vědecká knihovna v Olomouci: HLAVNÍ KATALOG (The Library Catalogue entry), and it looks like the book can be purchased as a pdf download.  After taking a few minutes to translate the form via Google Translate, I think I ordered a copy!  Should be about $20 I guess due to the exchange rates.  The Library is going to send me an estimate, and then I should be able to download the book if my calculations are correct.  I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

So thanks to Martin Altmann for locating the volume when it looked like all was lost!


The story continues...


Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment